|Sanctions in the Church » Delicts and Penalties in General » Penalties and Other Punishments » Expiatory penalties|
|Canon 1336.||§1. In addition to other penalties which the law may have established, the following are expiatory penalties which can affect an offender either perpetually, for a prescribed time, or for an indeterminate time:
1. a prohibition or an order concerning residence in a certain place or territory;
2. privation of a power, office, function, right, privilege, faculty, favor, title, or insignia, even merely honorary;
3. a prohibition against exercising those things listed under n. 2, or a prohibition against exercising them in a certain place or outside a certain place; these prohibitions are never under pain of nullity;
4. a penal transfer to another office;
5. dismissal from the clerical state.
§2. Only those expiatory penalties listed in §1, n. 3 can be latae sententiae.
|Canon 1337.||§1. A prohibition against residing in a certain place or territory can affect both clerics and religious; however, the order to reside in a certain place or territory can affect secular clerics and, within the limits of the constitutions, religious.
§2. To impose an order to reside in a certain place or territory requires the consent of the ordinary of that place unless it is a question of a house designated for clerics doing penance or being rehabilitated even from outside the diocese.
|Canon 1338.||§1. The privations and prohibitions listed in can. 1336, §1, nn. 2 and 3, never affect powers, offices, functions, rights, privileges, faculties, favors, titles, or insignia which are not subject to the power of the superior who establishes the penalty.
§2. Privation of the power of orders is not possible but only a prohibition against exercising it or some of its acts; likewise, privation of academic degrees is not possible.
§3. The norm given in can. 1335 for censures must be observed for the prohibitions listed in can. 1336, §1, n. 3.
Page generated in 0.0029 seconds.
Website code © 2019 (MIT License). Version 2.7.2, last updated February 17, 2019. FAQ