The principal function of a pontifical legate is daily to make stronger and more effective the bonds of unity which exist between the Apostolic See and particular churches. Therefore, it pertains to the pontifical legate for his own jurisdiction:
1. to send information to the Apostolic See concerning the conditions of particular churches and everything that touches the life of the Church and the good of souls;
2. to assist bishops by action and counsel while leaving intact the exercise of their legitimate power;
3. to foster close relations with the conference of bishops by offering it assistance in every way;
4. regarding the nomination of bishops, to transmit or propose to the Apostolic See the names of candidates and to instruct the informational process concerning those to be promoted, according to the norms given by the Apostolic See;
5. to strive to promote matters which pertain to the peace, progress, and cooperative effort of peoples;
6. to collaborate with bishops so that suitable relations are fostered between the Catholic Church and other Churches or ecclesial communities, and even non-Christian religions;
7. in associated action with bishops, to protect those things which pertain to the mission of the Church and the Apostolic See before the leaders of the state;
8. in addition, to exercise the faculties and to fulfill other mandates which the Apostolic See entrusts to him.
Page generated in 0.0037 seconds.