|Canon 874.||§1. To be permitted to take on the function of sponsor a person must:
1. be designated by the one to be baptized, by the parents or the person who takes their place, or in their absence by the pastor or minister and have the aptitude and intention of fulfilling this function;
2. have completed the sixteenth year of age, unless the diocesan bishop has established another age, or the pastor or minister has granted an exception for a just cause;
3. be a Catholic who has been confirmed and has already received the most holy sacrament of the Eucharist and who leads a life of faith in keeping with the function to be taken on;
4. not be bound by any canonical penalty legitimately imposed or declared;
5. not be the father or mother of the one to be baptized.
§2. A baptized person who belongs to a non-Catholic ecclesial community is not to participate except together with a Catholic sponsor and then only as a witness of the baptism.
Website code © 2018 (MIT License). Version 2.6.2, last updated March 16, 2018.
Canons and cross-references scraped from jgray.org. Catechism paragraphs scraped from vatican.va.
CanonLaw.Ninja includes the changes promulgated in Omnium in Mentem, Mitis Iudex Dominus Iesus, and De Concordia inter Codices by Pope Francis and Pope Benedict, as well as the Catechism of the Catholic Church, Dignitas Connubii and General Instruction of the Roman Missal.
Donations are welcome to help offset server & domain costs: PayPal - CashMe. All inquiries to [email protected]